“Be still, and know that I am God; I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth!” (Psalms 46:10 NKJV)
There are times in which we are to arrogant and self-absorbed for our own good. We all have battles we’ve been fighting against for years, alone, to no avail. Our egos are bigger than the world, and we refuse to turn to anyone for the help we so obviously need. Even though our loved ones and friends see the futility of our battles and beg us to get the help we need, we reject them and continue to fight a battle we cannot win. If we are not going to listen to our loved ones and friends, maybe we will listen to God. After all, He is the Omnipotent One.
For those of us who are hardheaded, listen to what our God tells us in today’s verse:
- “Be still,” – Literally, God says, “Stop fighting!” God is also Omniscient, He knows we are in a battle in which we cannot prevail, and orders us to STOP! Sometimes we are cheering for ourselves so loud that we can’t hear God’s gentle and quiet voice telling to stop and turn to Him, that He now has to yell at us to get our attention.
- “and know that I am God;” – in a sense, God wants to show off for us. He wants to take over and fight this battle we’ve been fighting for so long, and defeat it. He wants to remind us, as Christians, that He is still God, and that He is still Omniscient, Omnipotent, and Omnipresent. There is nothing He doesn’t know about us, there is nothing He can’t do for us, and that there is no place we can go in which He is not already there. God wants us to put the full measure of our faith and trust in Him, then watch what He does.
- “I will be exalted among the nations,” – When we allow God to intervene in our lives, all those around us will get to see God’s power over all circumstances. That gives them the opportunity to put their faith and trust in Him also.
- “I will be exalted in the earth!” – when God intervenes and does something that we couldn’t do for ourselves, then everyone around us will know that it had to be God, and He alone will get the honor, glory and praise. We must also proclaim to the world what He does; He wants the entire world to know about Himself and wants to use us to let the entire world know about His greatness.
God will never ask us to “be still”, or to “stop fighting” so that we can be defeated, but so that He can show up and blow our minds, and the minds of those around us, with what He does for us.
It is more courageous to admit that we are not able to do something, and let God intervene, than to continue doing what is easy; fighting a battle that we know we cannot win. So we must not be afraid to be still, stop fighting, for fear of what others may think of us.
Are you fighting a battle that you know you cannot win? Are you tired and weary of the fight? Then,
- how will you obey today’s lesson?
- With whom will you share today’s lesson?
- With whom will you share the story of your salvation, and the story of what Jesus has done for you?
In Christ’s love,